Established in April 2004, we are a not-for-profit organization with charity status, based in Victoria, BC. “OCTA” is an acronym for “Only Creative Thinking Allowed”.
We raise funds through grants, donors, sponsors and fundraising events to delivers arts workshops in Capital Region elementary schools identified as having a high population of children from low income families. In our artsREACH workshops, the children participate in painting, printmaking, theatre, dance or video workshops taught by professional artists, actors, dancers and filmmakers hired and trained to teach creative techniques and skills in a positive and encouraging learning environment.
This means that children who are least likely to have access to arts education outside of school are able to participate in arts experiences that help them to develop critical life skills.
Through these workshops children:
- Develop artistic and creative skills
- Gain an appreciation for the arts
- Improve their self confidence and self-esteem
- Develop teamwork, communication and personal management skills
Current Board Members:
- Maureen Weston, Board President
- Janai Scigliano, Vice-President
- Jodi Sing, Vice-President
- Giles Deshon, Secretary
- Whitey Mitchell, Treasurer
- Sandra Hunka
- Rajeev Ayer
Founder: Marilyn Sing